Below are some Australian Government initiatives that provide support and assistance to businesses that have been affected by the lockdowns countrywide. Note: They are relevant from August 2021.
Job Maker and Job Saver packages
If you are a sole trader, the owner of a small business or a not-for-profit organisation in NSW and QLD, the past year and a bit may have felt like you couldn’t catch a break. However, we have some marvellous news for you.
The Australian and State Governments have released the third JobMaker hiring credit and a couple of job maker and job saver packages to assist small businesses.
The third JobMaker Hiring Credit is now available.
If you are eligible to receive these payments, you may be able to claim up to:
- $10,400 over a year, for each additional eligible employee, hired aged 16 to 20 years
- $5,200 over a year, for each additional eligible employee, hired aged 30 to 35 years.
To claim, you’ll need to:
- register at any time until 6 October 2021
- nominate your additional eligible employees
- claim your payment.
The third claim period closes 31 October 2021. Click here for more information and assistance claiming this credit, or contact our friendly team for more information.
Australian Government initiatives: Queensland – Packages and grants
Although South East Queensland has not been in lockdown since the start of August, we know that many businesses have been struggling to recover.
Without the ability to access key interstate and on some level global markets, some industries such as the tourism, aviation and hospitality industries are running on “survival mode”.
On Tuesday the 10th of August, the City of the Gold Coast announced 2 relief packages.
- A $3 million ‘Buy Local/Play Local’ voucher scheme called “Play Money Rewards” for Gold Coast residents where up to 60,000 vouchers will be offered at $50 each to spend on dining, accommodation, tours, art experiences and retail shopping;
- Waiving fees for al fresco dining;
- More flexible payment plans for water and rates accounts;
- One month free hire of City Community centres;
- Commercial vessel permit fee and hot air ballooning fee waivers;
- City Business Engagement Officers to support small businesses in accessing Federal and State grants;
- $90,000 to provide a free digital growth training program to eligible accommodation providers.
- Payroll tax deferral*;
- 12-month fee waiver or refund of inbound tour operator fees;
- COVID-19 marine tourism rebate;
- Liquor licensing fees waived for 2021–22;
- 2021 COVID-19 Business Support Grants expanded to include large tourism and hospitality businesses;
- Queensland COVID-19 cleaning rebate.
Additionally, click here to view the Palaszczuk Governments announcement of providing $5,000 payments to small and medium eligible businesses across Queensland affected by the most recent COVID-19 lockdown and the current lockdowns in other states.
Australian Government initiatives: New South Wales – Packages and Grants
In light of the most current lockdown, we are faced with here in New South Wales, the state government has released updated information regarding their packages and grants to assist businesses, sole traders and small non-for-profits.
The new small business support payment will support up to an estimated 500,000 entities employing more than 3 million people.
They have also released a COVID-19 assistance finder. This 2-minute questionnaire creates a tailored list of benefits and services that are specific for you in regards to health and wellbeing, employment, skills and training, food, and housing and finances.
For more information regarding the 2021 COVID-19 Support packages available, click this link.
All Australian Government initiatives
Finally, we would like to spread some peace of mind. Our expert accountants are here to help business owners receive the maximum benefits they can.
Additionally, for any questions you may have about accounting, tax or business matters, please feel free to contact us.