It is not easy being a boss
Some of the most important leadership skills are:
- Communicating goals: Let people know why they are doing something, not just how to do it. Employees are more motivated when they understand the purpose of a task.
- Setting standards: Bosses are responsible for establishing – and demonstrating – the standards expected of others to maintain.
- Being fair: Ensure that standards are reasonable and fair and that goals are actually achievable.
- Listening: Learn to talk with – not just to – employees. Enlist their suggestions, and set goals together
- Making decisions: The buck has to stop somewhere. Employees look to their leaders to make choices and stick with them
It is easier to become a better boss than many people think. Each day opportunities are presented to take advantage of some of the ideas shown above. Taking small steps will result in happier and more productive team members.